Tamper base: flat or convex?

Last week I bought two beautiful custom made tampers from DiRossi. One of the reasons to get these was the opportunity to compare the extraction after tamping with a flat based tamper and the new convex base tamper that DiRossi made for me.

Using the La Pavoni 'Millennium' Europiccola hand lever and the same grind and dose for both extractions (and even the same music) I filmed the extraction difference between baskets tamped with the convex bas and a flat base. In both cases I first rolled the base around a little, for what is sometimes called 'nutation' of the grinds and I used moderate pressure.

(For 'nutation' see 3:23 in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgKgt2gtzD0)

Turns out for me there is, on the two tries that I gave it, no significant point to demonstrate a radical difference in extraction between both methods.

So my conclusion for now is that careful tamping is effective to create a fine extraction on the right beans when using the right dose and grind.

(Music in the background from the album Ask The Dust by LORN)



On Vimeo:

Reacties

Frans zei…
A friend writes me: "Science (and the Big Note) triumphs over tribal superstitions once again."

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser