Measure the Moisture [part 2]

(See also Part 1)

On the Wile65 moisture analyzer you can adjust the readings if you find that the results are consistently higher or lower than a reference device.

The two barista's that I know who have a similar moisture analyzer are currently very busy getting their new roastery & cafe ready to open up and they have not had time yet to try out their moisture device, so I do not currently have a reference.

Instead, I took 1000g of beans that measured 14% and put them in an oven at a temperature between 100-110ºC for 26 hours over two days (48 hours), switching the oven off when I left the house and when I went to sleep. The oven cools down slowly so the beans were in a hot environment longer than the 26 hours.

Then I weighed them again and they were 904.5g which I count for 905g and this might indicate the beans were originally over 10% in moisture but probably not 14%.

I will next do a few tests with samples of 200g of beans from the same "14%" source in the hot air roaster at 100ºC exactly. I will need to see how long they need to be in there to measure 10% or preferably more of weight loss.

exactly 1.000g in

on a plate in the oven

probe on/in the bean mass

monitoring the temp

after 2 days, almost 10% weight loss

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Tiny Cheap Fluid Bed Roaster by Tije and Jan

Finished Pavoni & Fuji PXG4 pid: Probe Inside the Ring

TC4+ boards and Arduino controlled roaster by Matthias Gerstgrasser